[Ti] tibook and Pre"war"

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 10 14:00:52 PST 2003

According to t molnar:

>Here's an interesting tidbit.
>
>http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,57961,00.html
>
>cheers,
>tim

Yes, that was a good one.

I recall the Army bought a ton of iMacs a couple years ago. They had
expressed concerns about security and 'trust' with a big part of
their stateside platform. [i.e. MS]. If I recall properly, the
purchase was in the many thousands of units.

[Although it seems bizarre, and I have no way of actually 'knowing',
I heard a number like 200,000 kicked around, which actually might
have positively affected Apple's stock price, which I was following
closely for quite a while].

Can anyone substantiate, or refute that idea?  Was it 20,000 iBooks
and iMacs, or far more than that? At the time there were a series of
publicized 'hacks' at some naval and army bases, mostly on the
civilian work force side, I believe. They bought the Macs, and closed
down some 'leaky' Web sites that had been open to the public...if
that helps anyone with better recollection.

~flipper