[Ti] I am tired of spinning beachballs

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Mon Mar 10 18:33:54 PST 2003

On Monday, March 10, 2003, at 01:22 PM, Mark Swanson wrote:

> Since I upgraded to 10.2.4 I see way to much of spinning beachballs
> and bouncing dock items.  Sometimes the first application boots
> quickly, but any subsequent application bounces for literally minutes.
>  My Mail application invariably gives me a spinning beachball  and
> after a considerable wait, tells me it can't locate the spelling
> checker and, of course, fails to input the last half of the sentence I
> was typing.  What did I do wrong.  Everything was snappy before.  Now
> it acts like its working on something much more important than what I
> want to do.  Ran disk utility (and fixed permissions) and Drive 10.
> No problems.  Is there something I need to do.  Also, I waited a
> couple of weeks to mention this thinking that maybe things would
> correct themselves, or it would finish doing what was dominating its
> time.  Do I need to cast some "terminal" spells?

One think I know can cause these application launch delays, is problems
with network devices, for example if someone turns off a host computer
whose SMB share you have mounted. That will cause subsequent attempts
to access that drive (and such access is triggered by application
launches - don't ask me why) to hang waiting for a time out (usually
between 100 and 120 seconds). The disk will appear to have disappeared
from the Finder, but is still mounted in /Volumes.

I have found _no_ other way to resolve the problem once it occurs, than
to reboot the computer. And I do know quite a few "'terminal' spells"
;-).

/ Rgds, David