[Ti] I am tired of spinning beachballs

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Tue Mar 11 07:43:29 PST 2003

On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 02:33  am, David Remahl wrote:

> On Monday, March 10, 2003, at 01:22 PM, Mark Swanson wrote:
>
>> Since I upgraded to 10.2.4 I see way to much of spinning beachballs
>> and bouncing dock items.  Sometimes the first application boots
>> quickly, but any subsequent application bounces for literally
>> minutes.  My Mail application invariably gives me a spinning
>> beachball  and after a considerable wait, tells me it can't locate
>> the spelling checker and, of course, fails to input the last half of
>> the sentence I was typing.  What did I do wrong.  Everything was
>> snappy before.  Now it acts like its working on something much more
>> important than what I want to do.  Ran disk utility (and fixed
>> permissions) and Drive 10.  No problems.  Is there something I need
>> to do.  Also, I waited a couple of weeks to mention this thinking
>> that maybe things would correct themselves, or it would finish doing
>> what was dominating its time.  Do I need to cast some "terminal"
>> spells?
>
> One think I know can cause these application launch delays, is
> problems with network devices, for example if someone turns off a host
> computer whose SMB share you have mounted. That will cause subsequent
> attempts to access that drive (and such access is triggered by
> application launches - don't ask me why) to hang waiting for a time
> out (usually between 100 and 120 seconds). The disk will appear to
> have disappeared from the Finder, but is still mounted in /Volumes.

I agree with this -- this would be the first placed I'd look.

OSX has a long timeout period when it can;t find an internet connection
that it had previously.

For example, if i take the ethernet cable out of the socket in the back
of my Ti, shut it down (without changing locations) and then start it
up again on a train, it will take an extra couple of minutes to start
up with a beachball because it is still looking for that connection.

Could be this kind of issue. Then again it could be something else,
since this hasn't changed in 10.2.4

> I have found _no_ other way to resolve the problem once it occurs,
> than to reboot the computer. And I do know quite a few "'terminal'
> spells" ;-).

Changing the location to one where all the network interfaces you
aren't using are deactivated in network prefs might fix?

> / Rgds, David

Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue
tarik at opalblue.com