[Ti] Spinning beachballs

Sherman Gregory sherman at qualcomm.com
Tue Mar 11 14:03:49 PST 2003

At 3:45 AM -0500 3/11/03, Mark Swanson wrote:
>I tried  running terminal and then:   sudo redo_prebinding -root /
>It them asks me for a password.  But it never accepts my password.
>After three tries I have to start over.  Being a novice, I tried
>pasting and retyping the command, but no go.  Now I am more
>frustrated as I think its not accepting my password for root. Could
>this have changed without me knowing?   Maybe there is something
>simple I am missing.  Also, is there a book or site where I can
>begin to learn terminal and its commands.  I bought the  "Missing
>Manual" but its a little light on terminal commands.  By the way, I
>really appreciate having a source like this where people share their
>insight and experience.  Again, thanks to all.

With sudo, you do not use your root password, you use your normal
user password.    You must have admin turned on for the user that you
are logged in as.

The first unix thing that you should probably learn is man.  Typing
"man <command>" (without the quotes) will give you a often very hard
to understand, but detailed description of the command.  Try typing
"man sudo" and in the first paragraph you will learn which password
to use.  Another thing you can try is "man man" and you will learn
all about the man command itself.

You might like the O'Reilly book "Learning Unix for Mac OS X, 2nd
Edition" http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lunixmacosx2/  for your next
step in learning Unix.  It seems like there are hundreds of books on
Unix out there.  I don't know which is best.  There is so much to
learn about Unix that I really don't believe anyone really "knows
Unix".

      Sherman