[Ti] Safari Beta v.64 is out [NOT HERE]

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Wed Mar 12 08:47:22 PST 2003

On  Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:07:37 -0500 John R McDaniel <johnmcd at one.net> wrote:

> I haven't read the terms of software license. I could say something
> like, "if you are not authorized to beta test this software through
> appropriate channels, you must remove it from your hard drive
> immediately or risk legal action." Dunno. I wouldn't surprise me. I've
> seen a couple of beta testing agreements.

This is the sort of attitude that runs so counter to the early days of
computing it just isn't funny. I remember reading a book called "Hackers"
(Based on the original meaning of the word, not the derogatory meaning it
has come to mean today). It is a history of the MIT days of the 50's and
60's when the very first computing devices were being built. They evolved
from experimenting with switching circuits of model railroad building. It
was in essence a rebellion against the Holy Priests of the IBM monsters who
fed keypunch cards into the mouths of their hulking mainframes. No one was
allowed to approach these holy beasts except the frocked-coated elite. The
early Hackers set out to develop technology for the "rest of us." (Sound
familiar?)

In those days the MIT crowd (and their ilk) shared all information. If
anyone held back and refused to share, he was considered outcast. To work in
computer research, you joined a community in which all information was made
public. It was an exciting thing to belong to.

Today every little bit of code is jealously guarded and now we come to the
threat of legal action... :(

Even the Internet which in its beginnings was free and open is now being
hammered by litigation and administrative controls.

I was encouraged when Apple announced that Safari would be open source. It
sounded a bit like the good old days. But now I see that they too may be
doing a 180° switch and threatening anyone who circulates interim builds.

Hell, even Chimera (Camino) in the spirit of the original "Hackers" releases
nightly builds for people to play around with.

>> Don't EVER type anything you don't want everyone in the world to see.
>> Period.
>>

> You are probably right,
>
> but doesn't that depress you?

You bet it does Tarik! And I'll bet it depresses everyone here if they
allowed themselves to admit it.

OK, Enough! I've said my piece.

jg