[Ti] Safari Beta v.64 is out [NOT HERE] [OT]

John Pariseau simplymail at ururk.com
Wed Mar 12 09:44:22 PST 2003

> Today every little bit of code is jealously guarded and now we come to
> the
> threat of legal action... :(

Yes, but that is their prerogative - they created the code that makes
something you do possible. Like art, only in little bits of code (and
not paint). Someone puts a monetary value on that technology, and you
pay - or don't use it. Like a physical good (coat, hat, shoes, etc...).
Granted, you may not find some technologies to be worth the wait (such
as Safari - "free", and a beta). In America, Capitalism runs the
country. I won't even get to the Open Source debate, because it is
pointless. The point I am making is, they created it, it is theirs to
do with what they want.

> Even the Internet which in its beginnings was free and open is now
> being
> hammered by litigation and administrative controls.

That I am less easy about. Reading stories on how Google was taken to
court makes my eyeballs itch.

> Hell, even Chimera (Camino) in the spirit of the original "Hackers"
> releases
> nightly builds for people to play around with.

Yes, but Apple has a company at risk - possible bad press about "bad"
nightly builds, a huge user base not quite understanding the whole
concept of nightly builds, etc... Perhaps something requiring Developer
membership, but then, I can't write Apple policy.