[Ti] about the Safari Beta v.64 license .....

Loren Schooley loren at flash.net
Wed Mar 12 09:48:14 PST 2003

On 3/12/03 10:26 AM, "Robert Ameeti" <robert at ameeti.net> wrote:

>>> Possession of stolen property is a similar concept and applies even
>>> if you didn't know the item was stolen.
>>>
>>> This is an area where the individual decides how ethical they want
>>> to be, when getting away with something is likely. We all have
>>> limits so each of us can say that we are honest, with cases where we
>>> pay for things that could be gotten for free, and we can all say
>>> that we fudge on minor things, like speeding. I myself am way out on
>>> the honest side regarding agreements regarding software,
>>
>> Steve - I checked out what the software license agreement itself allows:
>>
>> The Safari v64 License states:
>>
>> SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT
>> PUBLIC BETA
>>
>> THIS IS TRIAL, PRE-RELEASE, TIME-LIMITED SOFTWARE MEANT FOR
>> EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY.
>> This License allows you to download and use the Apple Software during
>> the term of this License for evaluation purposes only.
>>
>> ........will terminate automatically without notice from Apple upon the
>> commercial release of the Apple Software, or June 30, 2003, whichever occurs
>> first.
>>
>> It seems to me that if we the public are downloading and evaluating the beta
>> software, we are within the permission of the license.  Or is my analysis too
>> simplistic?
>
> A bit too simplistic. The license applies to those who have received the
> software with the permission of the owner, not for every Tom, Dick, and Harry
> that obtains possession of it. Possession does not create rights to possess.
>
> If I give my son a note to get back into class after having missed school,
> that request for admission back to school does not get granted to every friend
> of my son's who obtains a copy of my son's note.

If the Safari team didn't want distribution, then it wouldn't encourage it
so through chat rooms and team member blog entries. The idea of any
successful release is to distribute as many copies, as much interest,
stimulation, rave, hype, et al. Everyone welcome. Enjoy all. The more copies
the better. Competition. Please use my software.

Safari, nor any beta software, is not a double secret nuclear development
project, nor a double secret meeting with Dick Cheney to discuss his private
companies contracts in New Iraq. Safari beta right now is rickety software
with minimal tab support that crashes allot. Nor does it involve money.

Apple kept the Aluminum PB's secret very successfully. I am sure it would do
the same with any of their products, but it's obvious they could care less
about Safari Beta secrecy.

Some of you guys are more worried about a copyright foul than the
devastation of our free country which at this very moment is being
overwhelmed by an Imperialistic regime for the benefit of an international
select group who cares not for you or your children's personal well being.

Lawyers as Stormtroopers have rendered your wisdom and awareness into a
controlled bubble. Some arguers for the rule of the law are prolly the same
folks who complained about line cutters while unknowingly headed down the
hallway to a firing squad. One of my points are that all should pay
attention to the minute details of the state of the only free country on the
planet as much as we do the esoteric details of the Safari Beta crisis,
which is a topic embedded in fear, which in description, is terrorism,
performed by lawyers, which is treason, according to the USAPA Section 802.