[Ti] What is this going to do to Apple, and its laptops?

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Thu Mar 13 08:43:07 PST 2003

>>If I'm not mistaken, this chip operates with 802.11 (b? g? a? I
>>don't know...).  It doesn't sound that innovative or fascinating to
>>me.  I don't quite understand what makes it so unique, other than
>>it will be in all notebooks.
>>

>how about 100 yards of range... ?

I would challenge that spec without an external antenna... though if
it is built into the motherboard, they could provide a connector for
an antenna on the laptop.  With the right antenna, 802.11.x can reach
a range of 4-5 miles (also requires clear line of sight).  There are
Airport hacks that have achieved 1 or 2 miles from inside a home.

The issues with TiBook range have been antenna-related as well; which
is something that was addressed definitively in the 17" book.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com