[Ti] about the Safari Beta v.64 license .....

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Thu Mar 13 09:01:37 PST 2003

on 3/13/2003 5:17 AM, Chris Malanga at chrismalanga at earthlink.net wrote:

> On 3/12/03 11:48 AM, "Loren Schooley" <loren at flash.net> wrote:
>
>>> If the Safari team didn't want distribution, then it wouldn't encourage it
>>> so through chat rooms and team member blog entries.
>
> Then, on 3/13/03 12:27 AM, Shawn King <shawn at yourmaclife.com> wrote:
>
>> No one on the Safari team is doing that. You may meet people in Chat Rooms
>> who *say* they are with Apple, but I guarantee they are not.
>
> Shawn,
>
> I haven't downloaded any of the "unofficial betas," and will wait until
> there is a more stable, official  version out, however Loren does make a
> point.  Have you seen Dave Hyatt's weblog
> (http://www.mozillazine.org/weblogs/hyatt/), which said the following on
> February 27th?
>
>> ... if there were a Safari v62, and it did happen to leak to the public, and
>> someone did happen to run it, and that person did happen to discover a bug
>> with text-decoration, well then I would hypothetically be most grateful, and
>> would in fact fix such a bug with the utmost expedience. In fact, it might
>> even be fixed already, assuming of course there were such a build, and it did
>> in fact have this problem.
>
> Sounds like he wasn't too broken up about the "unauthorized beta" being
> released, and in effect was asking for help in fixing a bug.  And this is
> the lead developer - and an Apple employee.  So, I would agree with Loren
> that Apple isn't to concerned about this being out there.
>
> Chris Malanga
> chrismalanga at earthlink.net

As a former Apple employee and one who wishes to continue to be a developer
in the industry, encouraging theft of software can be grounds for
termination.

Apple owns the software, they license it to us for use -- not for
distribution.  Anyone who breaks that trust is asking to not be trusted in
the future.  How would you feel if you shared something with someone with
the understanding that they wouldn't share it with anyone else -- and they
did anyway.  Would you trust that person again?

I didn't think so.

Whether it is a secret or software, the principle is the same.  There is no
"difference in degree" -- if you can't be trusted with small things, there
is no way that you'll be trusted with big things.

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver