[Ti] Battery Question

Don ds1000309 at uid.onemain.com
Thu Mar 13 10:19:05 PST 2003

John Griffin wrote:

> On  Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:31:10 -0800 Chris/Gail Ladd <ladd at citytel.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Just got a new 1Gh TiBook.  Can i leave my battery installed  and then
> > run the  TiBook  " plugged in"  (that's what i've been doing) or should
> > I remove the battery once it is fully charged.
>
> You bring up an interesting point. If you follow MacFixit, they suggest
> removing the battery when the Powerbook is plugged in. I have read just the
> opposite elsewhere. Who do you believe?
>
> MacFixit's point is that if you leave it plugged in all the time, your
> battery is going to lose its capacity faster than if you remove it.
>
> Is this true? Some say yes, some say no.
>
> One benefit of leaving it in is that you have a built in UPS. This is a
> major plus here in Ontario where our Hydro service is badly compromised.
>
> I for one would like to read from someone who really knows what he is
> talking about.
>
> jg

I am no battery expert, but have left the battery in my Ti since I bought the 'book
about two years ago. The Ti is plugged in almost all the time (several hours almost
every day) and I still get about 2+ hours when running off the battery alone. I
suspect any difference (battery in or battery out) would be negligible over the course
of the battery's life... but I could be wrong.

Don