[Ti] What is this going to do to Apple, and its laptops?

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Thu Mar 13 13:11:45 PST 2003

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 09:58 PM, Kynan Shook wrote:

> On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 02:47  PM, Massimo Marino wrote:
>>> I wrote:
>>> FWIW, Centrino will soon ship with one of the faster 802.11 variants
>>> (I
>>> forget which, but I think g), but the chipset wasn't ready soon
>>> enough
>>> to be included on the first version.
>>
>> uhm, nope.
>> centrino comes with 802.11b <------- from Intel press release:
>> http://www.intel.com/products/mobiletechnology/wireless.htm
>
> Yes, I know it comes with 802.11b NOW; I was saying that it will
> *soon* come out with a faster version, probably g.  This happened
> because the approval for the standard for g is coming along pretty
> slowly, so the chipset wasn't finalized in time to include it with
> this version of Centrino.

Oh, OK. I misinterpreted you in that centrino will be release in the
next days. I thought you were referring to *that* soon.

Well, when that happens you will *need* to buy a new laptop with
centrino 802.11g if you want faster access to centrino-certified
wireless products. Unless the chip is flashable - as pointed out by
Mike - in that case that would not be the case but I doubt *that* will
be the case.
Too many 'case' ? :-)

Or unless all that centrino-certified products is all buzz-mercial
wording but I wonder what those centrino-certified products are. Would
non centrino users have access at all? "Sorry, you must be on a
centrino-certified PC to access this service".

PS

reading Intel press one would believe that they invented the whole
wireless thing.

> Kynan Shook
> kshook at mac.com
> http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html