[Ti] Ethernet strangeness

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Sat Mar 15 19:12:14 PST 2003

Exactly how is this network set up?  You said in a later message that
the problems are with plugging in to remote wall jacks; what is on the
other end of these jacks?  Are they connected directly to the router,
or to a hub, or something else?
My thought is one of two things; one, that whatever is on the other end
of the wall jacks isn't working properly with higher-speed devices; I'm
going to assume the Wintel machine is 100 Base-T (like your PowerBook
is).  My second idea is that the wiring isn't quite up-to-par.  Either
way, it could be that the newer machines are negotiating to 100 Base-T
speeds, but that the cable is poor enough that it can't maintain the
speed.

If you're running OS X, you might check out the URL below for
instructions on how to set Ethernet speed and duplexing at startup, or
set it while booted similarly to the way their script does using the
ifconfig utility in the Terminal.
ie, to set the speed to 10 Base-T:
"ifconfig en0 mediaopt 10baseT/UTP"

Here's the URL:

Dick Grable <rgrable at mac.com> writes:
> We recently had our house wired for ethernet but there is some
> strangeness going on. My old LC 575 and a 6100 work fine but my TiBook
> 500 and my son-in-laws Win98 won't work unless plugged into the router.
> The router is an SMC 7004WBR. Sure would like to figure out what the
> problem is.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html