[Ti] Free nationwide wireless internet

Sherman Gregory sherman at qualcomm.com
Wed Mar 19 09:08:53 PST 2003

At 3:37 AM -0500 3/19/03, Steve Wozniak wrote:
>The subject of TiBook data connections comes up frequently on this list.
>
>I saw someone tonight who does this for free, legally.
>
>Cingular has a family plan and they allow circuit-switched (like
>voice) modem connections (9600 baud) to your ISP. Such connections
>are charged as voice minutes of use.
>
>But voice calls between two phones in your family plan are, or can
>be, free, for unlimited minutes.
>
>So you can use your TiBook to dial a modem call, via your main cell
>phone, to another cell phone at home. That phone at home is tied
>into a computer at home, which treats the phone as a modem, and can
>be set up to answer calls. So dial into your own home computer, and
>join its network.
>
>And it's a free call from anywhere within Cingular's range.
>
>You only pay for a plan with enough minutes for your voice needs. That's all.
>
>I am very amazed at this technique!

Did you actually see this work, or was someone just speculating that
it would?  I would be surprised if it did.   It might work, but there
are a couple of issues that I can foresee.

I don't know much about Cingular's GSM based system, but I do know a
little about CDMA systems.  When a wireless phone acts as a modem in
the circuit switched sense, it is not phone that is performing the
modem function, but a modem in the fixed infrastructure side of the
system.  So I wonder how the infrastructure on the terminating end of
the call knows to be a modem?  It could be done, but I think that it
would take extra work on the part of the system designers to support
a function that they do not want people to use.

If this really works, I am interested in knowing details.

I don't know what Cingular's family plan costs, but for $99/month
from Sprint or Verizon I can get packet data service that will
connect me to the Internet with download speeds of "up to" 144kb/s
within their respective "nationwide" coverage areas.  Certainly a lot
faster than the 9600.  I have used both of these myself.   I use the
Sprint service with a Novatel Merlin C201 PCMCIA card and the Verizon
service with a Motorola T720c phone and a USB cable.  Both of these
work with my Ti running 10.2.4.

    Sherman