[Ti] Ethernet interface monitor

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Wed Mar 19 15:12:01 PST 2003

--On Wednesday, March 19, 2003 10:50 AM -0800 Bill Palmer <whpalmer4 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If you don't mind using the terminal, try the tcpdump program

I didn't mention it, but I actually have been using MacSniffer, which is a nice GUI interface to TCPdump. I sometimes turn that on, but either nothing at all shows up or one or two outgoing packets are listed. I'm familiar with IP and TCP a little, but not that well versed in the protocols to tell what's really going on. I was hoping for a simpler diagnostic utility that would just say "port active, framing detected" but I'm not sure if that's possible in software. I suspect the kernal or lower OS layers only see the IP packets.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com