[Ti] Offtopic: likely date for new iPods

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Thu Mar 20 08:52:37 PST 2003

>The bottom line for me atm is that I can't really afford the 20gb
>version (yet) but having used mp3 technology for quite some time
>know that anything less than 40-60Gb will be less than adequate for
>my large collection, which is also going to take me hours to rip!
>
>At this stage I am considering buying a Firewire HD enclosure from
>Other World Computing, and putting a quiet and stable single platter
>5400rpm 60Gb disk in it.
>
>Of course this would not be a replacement for an iPod but just a way
>to have all of my music in one convenient place for listening.

When I first got my 10gb iPod I loaded all my music on it (about
9gb), but now I find that cumbersome... unless you are going to be
away from your computer for weeks, I would suggest using the "upload
specific playlists" feature; with a 20gb iPod you could have 10gb (5
days?) of music to listen too, and still have 10gb available for data.

I know this is a personal choice; but I thing the External FW is a
great idea, in that if you are going to a party or somewhere where
you need all your music, you could pack that along. But for "portable
music" -- especially with smart playlists -- 20gb is a bunch!
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com