Early morning scare...

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Thu Mar 20 09:03:02 PST 2003

When I turned on my Powerbook this morning, nothing on my USB ports worked.
Mouseing and keyboarding were lost. My Griffin PowerMate refused to glow.

To make a long story short, I found out that we are experiencing a Hydro
Brown-out here in Southern Ontario (one of many, it seems). My keyboard,
mouse and PowerMate are plugged into the back of my Studio Display and
apparently this setup needs all 120 volts to work correctly. I could work
the mouse and keyboard plugged directly into the back of the Powerbook, but
not the display.

Tracking this down cost me an entire morning's work. I only discovered it on
a hunch when I plugged my monitor into a portable power supply that I have
plugged in for emergencies. As soon as it was plugged in, everything worked
fine.

I have been wondering what was going on because I have to keep adjusting the
brightness levels on my Monitor. It keeps changing day to day.

Has anyone else had a USB Hub system fail because of lack of power?

jg