[Ti] What A Lemon

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Mon Mar 24 09:52:39 PST 2003

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 05:16  pm, Ben Cheng wrote:

> I can not stress this enough but always, _always_ buy AppleCare for
> notebooks.

I cannot agree with this more.

After I "got the feeling" that the original Rev A TiBooks were liable
to fail in many different ways, I extended my warranty. No problems
since I did but I can't afford to lose this machine due to a silly
hardware failure.

We should also remember that notebook computers are always going to be
subjected to more abuse (mine travels a lot) even when carefully looked
after, and given that the Ti is such a bleeding edge product I kind of
"expect" a few niggles, especially on the first production batches...

I have never found extending the warranty to be "value for money" on
any electronic product I have bought, until I starting buying
Powerbooks (this is my first one too ;) )

Service History:

1. Original Ti 400 Swapped by reseller due to faulty screen
2. 6 months later Firewire port died and was serviced at Apple
3. 2 years on no further problems except for some case cracks etc on
the plastic parts of the case (not covered in Applecare)

-
Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue
tarik at opalblue.com