Flying with your book ( Speaking of 17 inches ;-)

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Tue Mar 25 20:15:28 PST 2003

>> I used it in the backseat of a car successfully today. I'm waiting
>> to hear how it does on planes.
>
> Would someone please volunteer a trip on a plane for us? ;-)

I don't have a new 17incher yet, but I can say that I spent a whole lot of
time with my Ti550 on a couple 737's last weekend. I am 6'2" and fill out
the seat to the point where if I slide down an inch or so my knees are
hitting the seat infront of me. I can only slouch down if nothing is under
the seat infront of me, no problem since the overhead compartments hold
hundreds of pounds.

I was the envy of a few trips.. Watched some movies and played some games.
This was all affected however by several things. One plane I was on, the
drop down tray doesn't slide out the way most do.. So it folds down and
that's it. Not a huge problem but providing less depth for the base means
less opening of the screen. On a flight with the fold down/slide out trays
everything was good. In fact, when the tray is in the down position, my Ti
fits PERFECTLY into the space, heightwise, on the seat back infront of me
where the tray usually resides. If you have a big belly or are taller than
me it may be kind of tight. If the person infront of you suddenly pushes
their seatback back, prepare for evasive manoeuvers (suck it in quick!). I
would say a mere 1/2inch of extra space is there.

My best piece of advice for any notebook user is get to the airport early
enough and ask for the Wing - Emergency Exit Aisle. It has a lot more depth
so that people can exit the plane quickly. I learned that this is just about
the most requested seating.. So, as I said, you MUST get in early to book
your seats.

Also, you must must must pick up a pair of noise cancelling headphones.
Trust me, it makes GINORMOUS difference. My iPod buds perform poorly when
flying, my Sony MDRV700's are awesome, but noise cancelling is king on the
plane.

Next best or maybe more important option if you work on your machine on the
plane, would be another battery. Nothing like loosing all your juice with an
hour to go on a flight.

Tip number.. Ok, I lost count, GET THE WINDOW SEAT. I love when the aircrew
comes around with drinks and munchies, but not when they have to pass it
over top of my gear to Mr Fumble fingers sitting beside me. Plus cookie
crumbs and drink droplets fall out of crumpled packages and cups when
they're going back to the garbage bag before landing.

I probably have a few more, but I have run out of steam..

Bill Reburn