[Ti] Question: Airport Extreme vs. original Airport?

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Fri Mar 28 20:28:35 PST 2003

At 10:43 AM -0800 2003.03.28, Robert Ameeti wrote:
> >Higher speed?
>
>Yes, but only between the wireless computers that have AirPort Extreme cards and the wired computers.

Some studies have reported slower speeds under normal use and distances from the Base Station. Also, older AirPort devices can slow the network down. I remember reading this when I bought my AirPort Extreme base stations. Recently I transferred files using AirPort Extreme. I got 2 MB per second from computer to computer but only .5 MB per second through an AirPort Extreme Base Station 10 feet away, within sight.

>>Greater range?
>
>No.
>
> >Would it be worth it?

If the 2 AirPort Base Stations are close enough to communicate with each other, they can extend your network with no ethernet run. Only one of the two AirPort Extreme Base stations needs an internet connection.

Also, I have a Canon S900 printer plugged into one of my AirPort Extreme Base Stations, via USB, and that photo printer is available throughout my house without dedicating a computer to USB Printer sharing.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)