[Ti] Question: Airport Extreme vs. original Airport?

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Fri Mar 28 22:57:39 PST 2003

>In my former home, I had 2 original edition Apple Airport Stations, one at
>each end of my house. If I was to upgrade to the newest Airport Extreme
>Stations, what would be the advantages over the original Airport stations I
>own?

The greatest advantage would be the wireless printing ability; I just
put an Airport Extreme network in a home and the wireless printing
feature is pretty sweet (though it works through Rendezvous, so all
macs must be running Jag to take advantage of it.)

It also has 2 ethernet ports; one to feed in from broadband
connection and one network port to connect to a non-wireless network
or computer; one of the computers on the home network I set up was a
Wallstreet running OS9. By plugging it straight into the Airport
ethernet, the Airport assigned it an IP via DHCP just as it did the
wireless devices.

>Higher speed?

Using existing Airport cards in your Macs you won't notice much speed
difference

>Greater range?

Not with the standard set up, though the Extreme has a port for an
external antenna, which would greatly increase your range, depending
on how much you want to spend for an antenna.  The range for the
Airport Extreme with 802.11g is only 50 feet... with 802.11b it is
150 feet.

>Would it be worth it?

Can you get access everywhere you need with the existing Airports?
(if no, then the Airport Extreme with an external antenna may be the
way to go)
Would you like to be able to print to one printer from many Macs?
Do all of your computers have Jag running?

If you answered yes to the last 2 questions, then remember, without
an external antenna, you will probably have to buy to of the new
Airports as well.

On a side note: We also hooked up a crappy hp laptop with a Linksys
wireless pc card, but it wouldn't connect to the airport with WEP
enabled.  Worked fine when the network was open though.  The computer
was running Windoze ME and an hour on the phone with Linksys tech
support ended with them saying the Airport wasn't doing WEP
properly... Since we only needed to copy files from there to a new
12in powerbook, I just temporarily disabled WEP.

And for those of you who need "switch" ammo, this HP laptop was
purchased at the same time I purchased my Ti500, for the same price
as my Ti500; it has no ethernet, no CDRW... but it does have a
parallel port and a floppy drive ;-)   When people start talking
price of Macs vs. PCs this is a great example of how they are really
comparing Apples to "road apples"

--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com