[Ti] Question: Airport Extreme vs. original Airport?

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Sat Mar 29 07:33:09 PST 2003

>  >Not with the standard set up, though the Extreme has a port for an
>external antenna, which would greatly increase your range, depending
>on how much you want to spend for an antenna.  The range for the
>Airport Extreme with 802.11g is only 50 feet... with 802.11b it is
>150 feet.
>
>Huh? Distance for 802.11b or 802.11g is the same distance. But the
>more expensive version of the Extreme has an antennae port already
>built in and with that antennae, you can extend the distance for any
>computers regardless of their being Extreme or older.

I was only quoting what is stated in the Apple docs that came with
the Airport... I was a bit surprised as well that they only guarantee
a range of 50 feet with 802.11g.  I did not test this but the house
the network was installed in was fully covered by the airport,
including their back deck.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com