[Ti] Question: Airport Extreme vs. original Airport?

Fred fred at mindstate.com
Sat Mar 29 07:50:57 PST 2003

On 3/29/03 9:33 AM, "Michael Bigley" <wakinyan at fuse.net> wrote:
Distance for 802.11b or 802.11g is the same distance. But the
>> more expensive version of the Extreme has an antennae port already
>> built in and with that antennae, you can extend the distance for any
>> computers regardless of their being Extreme or older.
>
> I was only quoting what is stated in the Apple docs that came with
> the Airport... I was a bit surprised as well that they only guarantee
> a range of 50 feet with 802.11g.  I did not test this but the house
> the network was installed in was fully covered by the airport,
> including their back deck.

The 802.11g works up to 50ft, but then the base steps down to 802.11b and
works up to 150 ft like all the older base stations...so, that would account
for the coverage in the entire house.  It is just that for the first 50 ft
your able to use the speed of 802.11g...after that you are working with the
802.11b.
Cheers
FRED