[Ti] Background picture in dual screen - wrong

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 29 10:41:48 PST 2003

According to Daniel Borge:

>Hi people,
>
>Have a weird problem when I activate dual screens in 10.2.4
>
>1. In single screen my new background picture shows (an apple)
>
>2. in dual screen, (extended screen) the second monitor shows my OLD
>background
>
>3. in dual screen ("equal" screens) BOTH show my old background
>

>HELP....
>
>I tried changing several times, but the old background is always the same one
>(the jaguar-patterned background) even if I change to other backgrounds...
>
>Also moved the picture to another hd, disconnected it, did a
>restart....still there...

Daniel,

So that you understand my advice i will refer to two types of 'dual
screen': one being 'mirrored' [both screens same resolution, same
desktop image], and 'spanned'. [each screen having its own resolution
choices and desktop picture choices.

I have what may seem a 'dumb' question: When you say you tried
changing several times but..., do you mean you selected 'Display
monitors' from your Monitors icon in the menu bar, and reset each
monitor [startup, and second] to show backgrounds of your choice, and
they reverted, on their own?

Maybe the monitors icon isn't set to appear in your menu bar. If not,
you do so by selecting 'Monitors' in the System Prefs, and then
checking the box that says 'Show displays in menu bar'.

After selecting each display [using the pref panes that open on each
monitor], the 'startup monitor [being the one with the menu bar, of
course] will be the 'default' single-screen desktop picture, as well
as the 'default' mirrored desktop picture. Only in the 'spanned'
[i.e. 'Mirror Displays unchecked] will you have two different desktop
setups and pictures.

Checking 'Mirror Displays' also will bring the monitor set with
higher resolution down in line with the smaller res screen [which is
usually the built-in LCD]. The resolutions will revert back to
individual settings when 'Mirror Displays' is next un-checked.

I use them [either 'spanned' or the LCD-only single screen when away
from home] all the time. I never use mirrored monitors, but it works
this way [just checked again to be sure]. I've seen a problem on MY
setup, in 10.2.4, whereby the Sys prefs related to sound
[specifically my choice of 'Alert sound'] was 'forgotten between
reboots. I ended up trashing all the sounds except my particular
choice, problem solved. But I haven't seen any trace of
Monitor/Displays problems at all.

~flipper