[Ti] Question: Airport Extreme vs. original Airport?

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Sat Mar 29 10:51:47 PST 2003

Michael Bigley <wakinyan at fuse.net> writes:
> Using existing Airport cards in your Macs you won't notice much speed
> difference

Actually, if you're using a mixed network of Airport and Airport
Extreme computers, the more you use the Airport computers on the
network, the slower the AE computers will go (though it'll still be
faster than plain airport).  This is because every time an Airport Mac
wants to use the radio waves, everybody else has to slow down to
802.11b speeds.  Using only Airport computers on an Airport Extreme
network will be the same speed as using them on a plain Airport network.

> On a side note: We also hooked up a crappy hp laptop with a Linksys
> wireless pc card, but it wouldn't connect to the airport with WEP
> enabled.  Worked fine when the network was open though.  The computer
> was running Windoze ME and an hour on the phone with Linksys tech
> support ended with them saying the Airport wasn't doing WEP
> properly... Since we only needed to copy files from there to a new
> 12in powerbook, I just temporarily disabled WEP.

Did you try using the hex equivalent network password?
Also, for info on connections between airport and third-party clients
and access points, see:

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html