[Ti] Question: Airport Extreme vs. original Airport?

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Sat Mar 29 11:13:02 PST 2003

Robert Ameeti <robert at ameeti.net> writes:
> Huh? Distance for 802.11b or 802.11g is the same distance. But the
> more expensive version of the Extreme has an antennae port already
> built in and with that antennae, you can extend the distance for any
> computers regardless of their being Extreme or older.

Well, 802.11g running at the full 54 Mbps does only have a range of 50
feet, but beyond that range, it drops  slower speeds, and eventually
802.11b, so you get an effective range of 150 feet at the full 11 Mbps,
just at continually decreasing speeds (it can go as low as 1 Mbps,
depending on your settings, just like the original Airport).  I believe
the steps for speeds in 802.11g are: 54, 48, 36, 24, 18, 12, 9, and 6
Mbps.  Steps for 802.11b are 11, 5.5, 2, and 1 Mbps, though the default
on Airport is to drop the connection instead of slowing down to 1 Mbps.

> Correct. Only the more expensive version has the antennae port and the
> USB printer sharing port.

Actually, both have the USB printer sharing port.  The only difference
is the modem and the antenna cable port.  See
http://www.apple.com/airport/specs.html for their blow-by-blow
comparison of the features of each, but I just gave you all of the
differences anyway.  ;-)

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html