[Ti] VirtualPC Question

Chris Olson chris at mercury1.astcomm.net
Sat Mar 29 16:07:35 PST 2003

On Saturday, March 29, 2003, at 05:32 PM, b wrote:

> Due to limited drive space on the Ti-Book [what with my desire to keep
> 25% headroom on partitions] I see that VPC images of drives [in my
> case XP and win2k] are located in both my OS 9 partition and OSX
> partition.

I assume VirtualPC6 and I assume you're using dynamically expanding
drive images.  From your description, you have one on each partition
(for some reason).

> My question is: Since I never run VPC in OS 9, can I trash the
> VirtualPC folder in the OS9 documents folder?

No.  There is most likely a *.vpc6 document in there that describes
your VPC setup for that guest operating system.  I would just move that
appropriate file to wherever you store all the other ones (usually
~/Documents/Virtual PC List/*.vpc6)

> I'm afraid I need an answer from an 'experienced' user, here. Theory
> won't 'cut it'.<-- Due to the fact that I went through the XP Service
> Pack 1 upgrade and a lot of configuring, software installations, etc,
> in both XP and win2kPro, and have zero desire to go through that
> again.  :=

OK, I got lots of experience with VPC - I'm running Win 98, Win 2K,
Debian Sid, Redhat 8.0, Mandrake 9.0, an old install of SuSE 7.2, and I
got a hung install of FreeBSD that I haven't fixed yet.  But I'm not
totally sure I understand what you're trying to do.

> The upgrade to XP added about 1 GB to the drive image, on both
> partitions, meaning I'm burning 4 GB on both partitions, hence my
> desire to cut redundancy, if harmless, and possible. Thanks much.

This is the part I don't understand.  You got *two* windows xp drive
images?  How did the config files get into the OS 9 Documents directory
in the first place?  Or maybe you are mistaking the config file for the
drive image.  Your drive image ends with a .vhdp extension.  The config
file for that drive image ends with a .vpc6 extension.  You need *both*
those files to run your guest operating system.  Delete the file with
the .vpc6 extension and you can recover from the situation.  Delete the
file with the .vhdp extension and your guest operating system is toast.
--
Chris