[Ti] VirtualPC Question

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 29 17:05:43 PST 2003

According to Chris Olson:

>This is the part I don't understand.  You got *two* windows xp drive
>images?  How did the config files get into the OS 9 Documents
>directory in the first place?  Or maybe you are mistaking the config
>file for the drive image.  Your drive image ends with a .vhdp
>extension.  The config file for that drive image ends with a .vpc6
>extension.  You need *both* those files to run your guest operating
>system.  Delete the file with the .vpc6 extension and you can
>recover from the situation.  Delete the file with the .vhdp
>extension and your guest operating system is toast.
>--

Chris,

Thank you very much for your reply. I failed to mention I'm on VPC 5.0.4

I figured it out. There's no extensions on the Sparse drive Images.
Nor is there a file with a .vhdp extension. This might be due to my
setup. Be that as it may, after reading your letter, i went and
looked very carefully at the files. They seemed exactly the same. I
used File Buddy, with visibility on all to look at each one, and then
it hit me....<pause to feel dumb>... the files looked identical,
because the VirtualPC folder in the OSX partition...was an alias. And
it was pointed at the my OS 9 Documents folder.

That's good news, except for the fact that trashing the OSX VPC
folder will only give 8 kb of space rather than 4 GBs  <laughs>

Since you obviously are very familiar with the VPC app, I'm taking
the liberty oof asking 2 more easier questions ['more' as in
additional].

One- Did you use VPC 5 at some point and upgrade? and if so, did you
trash the VPC 5 app?

Two- I'm curious what you think of Redhat Linux in VPC? I realize
there's some performance gain in VPC 6, which I don't use, yet, but
it's mostly screen redraw stuff from my limited experience testing
VPC 6. Does Linux run pretty well on your setup?

Thanks again for getting me further into what  *was*  a messy bit of
logic over here. it all makes sense now, for the time being.

~flipper