[Ti] [q] Ideas for POINT TO POINT Video conferencing using two DV cameras via broadband for two MACS behind NATs

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 31 05:44:25 PST 2003

According to warwick teale:

>I have been trying SQUIDCAM agian just now and I cannot get to work
>at all. It doesn't see my camera attached to the firewire input. THe
>recommended drivers seem to be USB based.. (i.e. from
>http://www.ioxperts.com). AT $USD25.00 per copy sounds great BUT I
>cant get the demo up.
>
>any ideas and success stories welcome.
>
>ta

I/O experts.. ah yes. I use their driver on my firewire web cam. It's
firewire, not USB. If you are going through the net, meaning through
how ever many sockets to reach the other end, be prepared to watch 30
fps average out to 2 fps or less. I think the workaround is to have a
streaming server setup on one or both ends. Some nifty little
unix-apache app ought to do the trick. point-to-point is common, i
mean, that's netmeeting in windows. The 'fly in the ointment is all
the servers handing off the ones and zeroes on the way to and fro.

~flipper