[Ti] I won't sign the petition [was: Canadians need not apply!]

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Thu May 1 08:38:15 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 03:43  pm, Eduard Hoenkamp wrote:

> I am unhappy with the petition page mentioned in this digest
> http://www.petitiononline.com/AppleInt/petition.html which notes: "the
> ability to buy music from countries other than the U.S. is not
> available". Yet, iTunes tells me: "you won't be able to purchase music
> unless your billing[!] address is in the United States". Even if in
> practice this may amount to the same for many people, the petition
> seems to express that Apple acts in bad faith. I am not 'dismayed' as
> the petition declares

I am very dismayed.

we sit here and watch as Apple does as it sees fit and fails to provide
the level of service and support that customers receive and expect in
the home market.

We don't see this kind of duality from Microsoft/Intel.

We have seen for a long time how much (is little) Jobs thinks about his
European market ( I can't speak for other areas) throughout the years,
with a number of unnecessary lead times, and lack of availability
(<cough> 17 inch Powerbooks). In recent months the increased
advertising and marketing budget Apple committed to Europe has
massively raised awareness (and hopefully revenue), but as usual people
order a (not new) product (flatscreen iMac) and are kept waiting for
weeks/months for delivery.

The only advantage I have seen to being a European Apple buyer is that
the European law outlawed Apple's attempt to offer a 3 month (how can
anyone take that seriously) warranty on a 500 dollar product (iPod). So
we now get full 1 year warranties with our iPods.

What's interesting is that things seem to have got worse after Jobs
came back to Apple from a UK perspective at least. I can't give you any
facts and figures, but essentially jobs recentralised the distribution
chain to Apple, leaving the independent resellers weak.

Since Apple centres have essentially "rude" and "arrogant" customer
service values in the UK, this left us in a tough situation. They are
not like the all shiny SoHo shop in NYC. Think different, think more
like a dusty red-tape laden waste of city centre shop rental.

I would never buy a Powerbook from Apple stores. If there was something
wrong with it they would try to bully me into accepting that it was my
fault and tell me that I need to wait 5 weeks for the thing to be
replaced.4

I'm sorry for the rant but i feel strongly about this. Yes I love the
computers and software that Apple produce, but I don't much  like their
bullying customer service attitude.

all my best,

Tarik