17" Powerbook-Speakers Sleep?

Benn joverkamp at earthlink.net
Thu May 1 11:12:40 PDT 2003

Yesterday I got my 17" powerbook.  This thing is incredible--definitely
the coolest portable ever.

One of the first things that I've noticed, though, is that the speakers
seem to sleep... Example, with no music or other sounds playings, I get
an IM.  Just before the IM sound comes, I hear a sort of pop from the
speaker, then the sound plays.  If I'm continually sending and
receiving messages, it's fine, but if there's some pause, it'll do that
again.  Is this normal for the 17" powerbook?  have others also
experienced this?

Benn