[Ti] How do I

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Thu May 1 19:27:24 PDT 2003

Cyn paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>At 8:23 PM -0400 5/1/03, b wrote:
>>Cyn paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:
>>
>>>How do I allow IE to be the default web browser instead of safari?
>>>I went to system preferences--->internet--->clicked web tab and
>>>chose IE. When I click a link in Eudora, Safari still starts up.
>>>--
>>>Cyn
>>
>>That's because you have the option of using a different browser
>>inside Eudora [which i take advantage of]. If you want to select IE
>>for Eudora email links, just open Eudora, hold the Option key down
>>and double-click any URL or email link or hyperlink, in an email,
>>and you'll have the usual browse/find window, navigate to your IE
>>app, select. Done.
>>

>That worked beautifully. I am still not sure why it didn't work
>doing it my way.
>--
>Cyn

It is that way because some people might prefer Eudora to use a
different browser, rather than the 'global' preference. A web
designer may want htm files to open Dreamweaver or BBEdit, but if
'.htm' shows up at the end of an URL in Eudora mail, then Safari or
OmniWeb might be more logical/useful.

Another example: If one never chooses otherwise, QuickTime will open
jpeg pictures, or one might have another 'global' choice. In my case
all of my photos open in Graphic Converter, EXCEPT those ending in
.ps, .psd, and tiff. Why? because i want to use Graphic Converter
almost all the time, but certain files I want to open in Photoshop.
So I'll use the "Open With" panel in "Get Info" to select apps to
handle my 'exceptions", in effect, I let the file type determine the
application that handles it, in the same way i let my choice within
Eudora over-ride my so-called 'global' choice in the "Internet" panel
of System Preferences.

~flipper