[Ti] 4 songs per second poll

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Thu May 1 20:06:44 PDT 2003

Sam Hotchkiss paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>On Thu, 1 May 2003 6:49PM -0700, Hayes-Holgate, Shaun wrote:
>>  Actually another question for the poll would be:
>>  Why are you buying the music from Apple when you
>>  can get it for free with Limewire or other file
>>  sharing programs?
>
>while I think this would be a very good poll, there's no way anybody
>on this list is going to reply with anything but "piracy is bad"...
>this is a very anti-piracy list, and people who say anything that
>sounds like possibile condonement of piracy get criticized
>severely... now before you stop flaming me, I'm not saying that our
>anti-piracy stance is wrong, simply that it keeps us from attaining
>even moderately accurate poll results
>--

Piracy? You mean guys in Hong Kong or the People's Army in Beijing
making hundreds of thousands of copies of Windows XP and selling them
throughout Asia? I don't condone that. Or folks who make Anne Klein,
and fake Fendi bags and selling them across Europe, Asia, and
America? Not too thrilled about that either.

But kids sharing favorite songs over the internet? Who cares? I
downloaded an hour's worth of David Bowie's rehearsals in Santa
Monica for his 1974 world tour, last night. Bertelsmann will never
see it, neither will applemusic.com, and i seriously doubt that Mr.
Bowie would give a rat's arse, either. I grabbed it for the same
reason Sir Edmund Hilary climbed Everest.... because it was there.
[and besides Ellington, Stravinsky, and Lennon/McCartney...I'm a huge
(unreconstructed) Bowie fan].

I'll be giving the Applemusic.com gift certificates away, as soon as
they are available  ;=)

~flipper