[Ti] [OT] Applemusic.com - is the price right?

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Thu May 1 21:48:30 PDT 2003

At 12:18 AM -0400 2003.05.02, Roger Snyder wrote:
>    I was figuring on the $.10 person, $1.20 per album (12 songs) example.
>Using 6.5% (which I don't know if they could get that given costs) that
>gives an artist $78,000 per million sales per album. Doesn't seem like a lot
>(and must be a lot less than they are used to).

They'll owe the record company more than that for sponsoring the album production. The amount owed will increase each year due to inventory storage costs billed to the artist, charges anytime the artist's name is mentioned, plus accrued interest. Each year for the rest of the artist's life the amount owed the record company will rise. Eventually they will owe the record company millions of dollars, even though they were a bit successful. The record company will account for this amount owed as an asset.

I know artists in this situation 30 and 40 years after successes, with number 1 songs.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)