[Ti] [OT] another very unusual 10.2.5 crash

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Fri May 2 10:00:57 PDT 2003

As others have already mentioned, this is the new Kernel Panic screen,
as of 10.2.  If you want to see the actual panic text, it is stored in
PRAM and then written to the hard drive next time you reboot in
/Library/Logs/panic.log.
If you open up this file, you can sometimes do a little bit of
detective work; take a look at the logs, specifically the first line
(explains why it panicked), and if there is a line labeled "Kernel
loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):"  Following that
line are most likely the culprits; for example, I had problems with my
SoundSticks conflicting with high amounts of Airport traffic (this bug
has since been fixed) that would show "com.apple.driver.AppleUSBAudio"
followed by the dependencies ("com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily" and
"com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily").  This made it very clear that it was,
in fact, the USB Audio that was causing the problem.
Other kernel panics I've seen have been caused by Thursby's Dave or
Symantec SystemWorks.

If you'd like me to interpret, send me the panic.log file privately,
and I'll tell you what I think.

Tarik Bilgin <tarik at opalblue.com> writes:
> Hi there -- seen a very odd problem here which I had never seen before,
> so I thought I'd ask for your help on a diagnosis.
>
> The problem is simple.
>
> When I empty the trash, the computer crashes. The way in which it
> crashes I have never seen before.
>
> The desktop goes dark (falls into shadow) and a white panel in 5 or so
> languages appears telling me to hard boot the computer.
>
> Is this the new Apple front end to a kernel panic? I was bemused to see
> this screen -- took me by surprise!
>
> I have now discovered that the files in question are fonts. Not fonts
> that I am using, but copies of the font files I made.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html