[Ti] [OT} All this 'anti-piracy' stuff

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Sat May 3 14:09:09 PDT 2003

Michael Bigley paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>  Am I stealing music if I paid for a cassette, 8-track, LP or 45 (or
>maybe even a 78!!) of that song or album?

No you are not, you are simply acquiring something that exists, with
the permission of its 'possessor'. However, due to the nature of
recording contracts, none of the purchase price is finding its way
back to the Artist, or their estate. Which serves to deflate the red
herring of 'denying the struggling artist their due', which the
companies also trot out in their offensive 'defense.

Two wrongs do not make a right. i learned this as a child, and like
to think we all did. I have also bought tens of thousands of dollars
worth of music and software, on 'spec', only to find much of it
lacking in value to me. So, why should i blindly continue this
'wrongful', hurtful [to me] behavior, when it is possible to evaluate
before a purchase?

If all commerce was transacted in the same manner, we would never see
groceries, or their fitness to be consumed, wed buy all clothes based
on written description, or some toadies assurance 'well love it', and
cars would be delivered,paid for, up front, whether running properly
or not, AND we wouldn't be able to let the wife drive the car, share
the food with the kids, etc. However, due to poorly thought out
extensions of copyright, and the larger agenda on the part of the
powers that be, the record industry, is given a 'pass' from the
normal rules of doing fair business.

I cannot speak for those outside America, but here, in that part of
the US where we take the Constitution seriously, it is our duty to
disobey the 'convention' of the latest law, when it is morally wrong
to obey blindly. Not a 'right', a duty. One further note: The
Constitution has been misrepresented, and frighteningly so. It is NOT
about granting limited, specified 'rights', it IS all about limiting
the Power of government. All so-called 'inalienable rights' where not
specifically forbidden, are assumed to exist, and be respected,
requiring neither 'majority opinion', nor legislation. laws are
changed when they are shown to abrogate the spirit of the
Constitution. All well and good, as long as the separation of powers
is in place.  But where collusion exists between the 9th circuit, the
Supreme Court, regulators in the bureaucratic Gov't, the
bought-and-paid-for-Congress, and Industry, well, the table is set
for civil disobedience.

Art has survived and at times, thrived, for thousands of years
without Disney, AOL, and Sony. It is silly, and terribly
cultural-centric to assume/fear otherwise.

~flipper