[Ti] Wireless Access Points - Linksys vs AirPort vs ?

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Tue May 6 10:26:14 PDT 2003

On 5/6/03 12:28, "Tarik Bilgin" <tarik at opalblue.com> wrote:

>> Also, the poor TiBook reception plays a part.
>>
>> - Can anyone comment on whether this is similar issue with other
>> wireless routers
>
> I am attempting to set up something similar for a client of mine (on
> PC's using D-Link PCMCIA card, US Robotics PCI Card and Linksys WAP)
>
> Distance was no problem (its around 50 feet) but the 2 walls in the way
> seem to cut the signal down to 0.
>
> We may need to go for a second WAP and use repeating...

I've had good experience with D-Link as well as Linksys 802.11b WAP/routers
especially with the external antennas (the same dual ones you see on 2.4 Ghz
phonesets). I believe someone posted here a link a week or so ago to a place
that sells an external antenna for the TiPB. The downside is you have to
sacrifice your PCMCIA slot to router the cable to the outside of the Tibook.

The Linksys and D-Link stuff is also less expensive than Apple as a rule.
Going to the 5 Ghz stuff (either a or g) is not going to improve your range.

If the walls are just wood studs and wallboard then the external antennas
might work much better than an Airport with its small internal antenna.
Metal studs? Forget it. They soak up RF like a sponge.
--
Jesse

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true,
to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion." - Anon