Titanium hifi Solution Update

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Wed May 7 04:41:06 PDT 2003

So,

after a few weeks of ripping my CDs using iTunes to aiff and then lame
ripping, I started doing some audio tests to take stock of my new mp3
archive.

I was at first rather disappointed with 2 things:

a) a few of my mp3's have pops in, 99.9% most likely introduced at the
ripping stage. I am still searching for a ripper that incroporates
"paranoia" style algorithms for macosx

b) the sound quality was poor compared to my CD player (through my hifi
amp + speakers).

in this post i'll focus on b). I started to wonder about the sound card
in my Ti.

After some testing, I discovered that the headphones output on the side
of my Rev A Ti, gives a noisy, low dynamic range signal.

There is a lot of "hiss" and bass notes sound muffled and treble notes
are fat,  compressed sounding.

I then did the same listening tests with the Griffin iMic

http://griffintechnology.com/

Results:

An immediate difference. This sub 50 dollar USB device gives a crisper,
clearer sound and the dynamic range is better with less hiss.

Next I tested the M-Audio Sonica Theater

http://www.m-audio.net/

Results:

Again and immediate, and this time truly startling difference. This is
a ~75 dollar USB box that supports Dolby surround up to 7.1 and is true
24/96 audio fidelity.

It also comes with a well written application that is used for
configuring the device, with several knobs to play with to tweak the
sound. this is especially useful for doing positioning tests for Dolby
surround I believe.

The music begins to come to life, cellos and violins start to have
their true colour in the mix, bass notes are accurate in attack and die
away into nothing  when listening to Hip-Hop/Urban music. The
background hiss is now gone.

I would definitely recommend this product for audio enthusiasts.

Next i plan to purchase and test an Echo Indigo PC Card slot based
audio device.

The reviews on their website http://www.echoindigo.com are very
positive, and from (usually) reliable sources like Tom's Hardware.

This device weighs in at a 100 dollar price tag, and does _not_ support
Dolby, though does boast 24/96 fidelity, and some rather (almost too
good to be true) good audio specifications according to manufacturer's
tests.

The key here is that the device is on a PCMCIA card, saving valuable
space and clock cycles as it is a physical sound card. It also has 2
outputs with separate analogue stages for your headphones and your hifi.

The only doubt in my mind is whether the casing of the card is thick
enough to effectively shield the electronics inside from the electronic
noise present inside my Ti.

I'll give it a shot and let you know what you think.

(in the next update i'll give results of my audio compression listening
tests)

--
Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue