[Ti] Music is timele$$

XXL xxl at mac.com
Wed May 7 14:33:46 PDT 2003

> I have 7 different versions of "Dark Side of the Moon." Was I *forced*
> to buy anyone of them? Nope, I did so out of my own free will and
> desire to get a better product than the one I had.

You WERE forced to buy some of that, actually.

I hope the point I want to make is not lost on the members of the list. But
the LAW describes many rights that the music industry gets paid for when you
buy music. Some of these rights are tied to the medium and would certainly
be applicable when you change media say from LP to Cassette to CD.  But
others are not tied to the medium, and in face once you pay for them are
your right.  But the industry wants you to pay fro them again each time you
change medium.  So if your Beatles collection has gone from LP to Cassette
to CD then you have paid for some of these 3 times and were in fact under no
legal obligation to do so.

Yes, this is a fine point, and these royalties are measured often in
fractions of cents per unit.  But to say the industry is pristinely honest
and has not allowed themselves to make out like bandits here is absurd.

Most record executives derive far more satisfaction in selling the same
thing numerous times than in developing new material and selling that.

BTW for all the talk about law on this list all I seem to hear are opinions
about the law.. Not any specifics of the law.  Deal with reality, boys.  The
Judge does not care about your opinions.  Want to be credible on this list?
Then back your opinions with some research.
-Joel