[Ti] Timele$$?? Back to Business

XXL xxl at mac.com
Wed May 7 23:21:56 PDT 2003

> There is a "fair use" doctrine in the Copyright law which allows people to
> make copies of tapes, records, CD's they have already purchased, or radio
> shows, Broadcast TV shows that are aired into their homes, etc. as long as
> they do not sell these copies

Well, sort of........ Anytime the medium changes, all bets are off, though.
As I said the law is obtuse and not too easy to make sense of, but I assure
you that even though I own a Sgt. Pepper LP I have absolutely NO legal right
under "Fair Use" or any intellectual property code to thereby make a taped
copy of a CD that I do not own.  (I can tape my LP though.)

The record companies had to secure artists agreement to convert their
catalogs to CD when that format came along because current law is medium
specific in several important ways. And the big acts were able to extract
valuable concessions in return for their agreement to having their works
marketed on CD. (You DID notice that  Beatles and Stones recordings are NOT
in the iTunes Music Store, didn't you?  And reportedly it took Steve Jobs
personal intervention to get The Eagles and Dylan to agree to come along.)

-Joel