Antenna range on Powerbook

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Wed May 7 23:48:03 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 08:24  AM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List
wrote:

>> Also, in this model, do the antennas extend around the screen? Some
>> places have
>> said "later model PowerBooks" did this, but I've also been told the
>> cutesy
>> little windows on the body of the unit are the "antenna windows."
>
> Nope, the cutesy little antenna windows are it.  This is sort a weal
> link still.  They do work better than the first gen TiBooks, but
> still not as well as an iBook or external antennas as far as I can
> tell.
>
>       Sherman

There is a little trick to improve (in many cases) wireless range. Do
it at your risk although I did it myself a couple of times and all went
very well (increased range). Now with the facts and trick explanation.

On the TiBook one can access the antenna location removing the battery.
Get the TiBook upside down. Remove the battery. You will see a
*sort-of* flat band (or tape) running along the case on the right side
of the battery compartment. In most (if not all) cases where the range
on a TiBook is poor this flat band is not properly flat and actually
slightly detached from the case. The trick is to *massage* the band
with your thumb against the case (from top to bottom flattening down
the band against the Ti case). Do this a couple of time: almost
guaranteed your range will increase.

	Massimo