buy now at great price or wait

Mike Stanley macguy at guarded-inn.com
Thu May 8 07:59:54 PDT 2003

Ok, I KNOW this is a question that gets asked all the time.  And I know
the correct answer to it is "buy if you need it now, wait if you don't
need it - try to be happy with whatever your choice is."

So I just want a few opinions, and here is the choice I am faced with.

Our university has evidently negotiated a fairly decent price on the
15" Titaniums.  Even our computer store manager says this is most
likely because Apple is looking to move them in anticipation of
bringing out new models.

Our normal "edu" pricing on the 15" Titanium, decked out with a gig of
ram, the Superdrive, and Applecare, works out to be $3,008.  No idea
what retail would be on that - presumably a few hundred dollars more.

This "special" pricing, for the same 15" Titanium with a gig of ram,
Superdrive, and Applecare, is $2288.  $720 cheaper than our normal
pricing and some additional amount cheaper than retail.

Now this isn't me buying this, this is my employer, but I like to think
I do my best to save my employer money.  So my question is, seeing as I
have a TiBook 667 (no combo drive, just DVD, so its an early model) -
should I go for this deal *now* - realizing it is probably much better
pricing than we will get on whatever new model replaces the 15" one?
Or should I wait?

The 12" model, btw, is a bit too small and I'd prefer more speed,
memory, and cache.  The 17" model is frankly too large and, even at our
pricing, too expensive for my tastes - $3,500 to get it up to a gig of
ram with Applecare.