[Ti] sudden shut off when on battery

Andrew Lesny alesny at netacc.net
Sat May 10 03:22:08 PDT 2003

On Saturday, May 10, 2003, at 02:51  AM, Christoph Pistor wrote:

> my good old G4 400 Mhz shoes some strange behavior when on battery.
> Suddenly while typing it shuts off. This happens usually when a key on
> the keyboard is pressed, but not a particular one. There seems to be
> some intermittent contact and I don't know where. I tried moving the
> battery to see if I can reproduce the shut off, but nothing happened.
>
> Did anybody else have this happen? Is this a warranty case? How could
> I show this to the genius in the apple store?
>
> Christoph

I remember a few cases like this. I think this was why Apple came out
with those little shims for the connector on the battery. I also
remember curing a 'book like this by tightening up the screws
underneath the keyboard. The main screws inside are the usual torx t-8.

The early 400 and 500MHz powerbooks had a tendency to literally
'unscrew' themselves. Whether from moving around or some thermal
effect. The cover screws on my powerbook loosen up over time and have
to be 'adjusted' occasionally.

Usual disclaimers for such folk cures apply. YMMV.

Andrew