[Ti] Power supplies

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Sat May 10 05:05:44 PDT 2003

On 5/10/03 5:46, "Selwyn Ward" <selwyn.ward at btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Emboldened by experiences reported in this list, I plugged my old Ti500 grey
> puck power supply into my 17"Al. Powers it up OK and (slowly) charges the
> battery (tho' I don't think it's ever going to get to full charge). I can't
> say the puck feels any hotter than it does powering the Ti500.  I'm afraid
> my physics isn't good enough to appreciate the significance of the 45W/65W
> difference - tho' I rather guess that it wouldn't be wise to plug the 65W
> 17"Al power supply into the Ti500.

Actually it would be alright to do that. The 65 Watts is referring to the
total amount of electrical energy it can supply on a continuous basis. The
AIPB probably requires more energy because of the large screen. A power
supply designed for a larger load will still only deliver up to what the
load requires - in this case 24 vdc @ 1.875 amps = 45 watts max for the
TiPB.. (assuming the voltage requirements are the same which in this case
they are)

Using the lower rated PS may cause it to run at it's continuous max rated
load and may not provide all the energy needed to charge the battery, run
the hard drive, light the screen, power the motherboard, DVD/CD, USB
devices, etc.

However I think it's probably rare that these Power Supplies run at
continuous max all the time.
--
Jesse

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or
discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be
back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace.