Option keys etc

Joel Hopwood hopwood at zhian.com
Sat May 10 05:45:22 PDT 2003

On Saturday, May 10, 2003, at 04:09  am, PowerBook G4 Titanium List
wrote:

> Good stuff! One more confusing point from the past is that back in the
> day
> Apple (and maybe some other companies) used to print those weird icons
> for
> alt/option - shift - return - delete on it's keyboards.  I always
> thought
> the option key icon looked like a little brick going up/down an
> escalator.

Funnily enough, Bill, i think it goes the other way around!

Back in the day, my SE (man, that was a lovely mac but that's another
story - I do sometimes miss the simplicity of the little 512x384 black
and white screen and system 6...) anyway, my SE used to have "option"
printed on the option key, which I always thought was sensible because
you couldn't possibly mistake it with anything else.

These days, in an effort to be compatible with the PC crowd, Apple
tends to label the option key 'alt', and also add the brick going down
the escalator icon. This is how it is on my Ti 667, and on my Apple
Extended Keyboard II - but not you note on my old Apple Standard
keyboard (which incidentally has the nicest action of the lot!).

The Apple key has always had the Apple and cloverleaf logos.

Cheers

Joel

Joel Hopwood
+44 (0) 7957 426 422