[Ti] Stuck CD in CD-ROM Drive

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Tue May 13 13:50:58 PDT 2003

mburke6225 at aol.com typed this message on 5/13/03 2:30 PM:

> Leo
>
> DON'T DO ANYTHING!  I have read the responses up to this point and while
> everybody is trying their best to help one thing is certain: You appear to be
> a new user.
>
> I have not taken apart the CD ROM of any TiBook I've owned but have installed
> CD drives in other units.  If I were you I would not attempt to fix this with
> paper clips or post it notes or anything else as you could make matters worse.
> The good news is your drive is probably not fried but to confirm that you need
> to get it to a qualified tech. Worst case scenario, if the drive is busted and
> you replace it with one of their drives you won't be charge for checking out
> your existing drive and will end up with a new drive (albeit a purchased one).

What he said.

But short of messing with the guts, you should probably try every method of
ejecting the disk that you can (using iTunes eject button, doing a reboot
with the eject button pressed, going into firmware and commanding the
computer to "eject cd" etc.) I have found that when you have a problem Disk
in the drive, when you attempt multiple eject procedures, you often get
lucky just as you are about the give up. The disk will unexpectedly eject!

Griff