[Ti] sound recording with built in mic? (Ti550)

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Wed May 14 12:42:26 PDT 2003

--On Tuesday, May 13, 2003 02:35 PM -0400 Jennifer Landefeld <jennsbl at mac.com> wrote:

> If nothing is available for *free* as part of the OS I'd appreciate the most inexpensive suggestions that produce reasonably listenable results.

All the following are OSX applications:

Audiocorder can record via USB line-in or built-in mike. It has a vox turnon/off that can be set to only record when sounds above a certain threshold are coming in. You can also easily split recordings into separate files on the fly while recording. There is also a self-timer for time-delayed recording. It's shareware, but you determine what you want to pay. It's pretty easy to use and has nice instructions.

Audacity is a freeware open-source recorder/editor program. It will also record through the internal mike or via USB line-in. It is an editor primarily, so you can do a lot of editing and rearranging of your recording or pass it through a wide variety of filters. It has documentation that is OK, but not that extensive. Seems to crash on once in a while, but I  haven't ever lost anything. It can export all or part of a recording file in AIFF or mp3 with tags.

I think Spark ME will work also. It's the cut-back free version of a professional sound package. Does recording and editing. The free version has no documentation at all, so you have to figure it out, which isn't easy if you're not well-versed in digital audio production.

If you want to record through an external mike or do music from your stereo via line in, you'll need the Griffin iMic for phono-mini plug to USB conversion. If you get the iMic, there is a free utility from Griffin called Finyl Vinyl that does recording. It is simple to use and is well documented.

All of the above create AIFF files which you can then convert to mp3 via import to iTunes.

I think Audiocorder is your best bet for simple mike or line recording. It will record via the internal mike or the Griffin iMic.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com