Firewire Ports

Dave Friesen davefriesen at mac.com
Thu May 15 10:01:09 PDT 2003

There's a fascinating discussion going on over at Macintouch about bad Firewire ports.

[http://www.macintouch.com/firewirereader03.html]

I suggest anyone with a Powerbook prior to the DVI models and who use Firewire read this carefully.

There are links in that discussion which describe in much detail the cause of Firewire port failures. The most detailed being here: [http://www.medicalmac.com/mac98e.html]

And the recommended solution being here [http://fwdepot.com/thestore/product_info.php/products_id/356] at FWDepot. Its a special Firewire Isolator cable with what I assume a built in power surge protection, I'm writing to them immediately for more details.

If it does indeed prevent Port Failures (btw, due to an Apple manufacturing, it appears) I'm going to make a rush purchase of the FWDepot Cable for any Port Powered Device.