[Ti] OT: htospots (was:International dialup ...)

Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Mon May 19 00:13:56 PDT 2003

At 20:56 -0700 18-5-2003, Charles Shere wrote:
>International travel is why I stay with Earthlink. I've had almost
>no trouble connecting via local phone calls in Holland, England,
>France, Italy, and Spain, whether using my Mac or my Visor. There is
>a surcharge, but it's minor.

$0.15/minute, if I understand correctly their conditions.

>But it depends on where you're going. In Holland, for example,
>public libraries in even quite small towns have public web-connected
>computers, which will let you get webmail. That's even cheaper, and
>you don't have to haul your computer around.

"haul" is not a word I had thought of using with my Ti-500 !

>I'm looking forward to the next trip, because now I have AirPort,
>and I'll be looking for hotspots.

Charles - how are the 'hotspots'near you configured ?  I have no
experience in other countries, but here in Switzerland:

The first hotspot I found here (actually, Zurich airport) was
proposing a fee of around $20 for up to 24h of internet connection.
Of course.most people in an airport are not planning to be there for
24 h, so this sign-up fee seems somewhere between preposterous and
ridiculous.

There is another hotspot in Lausanne, where I frequently have a
meeting, but you have to have a Swisscom mobile phone account to get
access to it.

How are hotspots configured elsewhere?

regards,  Trevor