[Ti] OT: htospots (was:International dialup ...)

Charles Shere charlesshere at earthlink.net
Mon May 19 09:53:55 PDT 2003

Hello Trevor,

I wrote "haul," because for a couple of years my wife and I have been
on walking trips, and even a Ti-500 is big and heavy when you carry
everything on your back.

I have very limited experience so far with hotspots. Here in northern
California I've found two types:

1) pay-as-you-go connections, typically either 10¢ per minute
(SurfAndSip) or $6 per hour (T-Mobile). T-Mobile has a deal with the
Starbucks coffeehouse chain; most of their franchises now offer this. I
haven't yet tried this, because I have also found

2) free WiFi outlets. In Berkeley there's a coffeehouse with a free
hotspot; you simply open up your AirPort and you're immediately online.
Free. There's a Starbucks in the nearest big town to me (Santa Rosa,
north of San Francisco) conveniently located across the street from a
local ISP office: in that café I can get the ISP (sonic) free, or pay
for T-Mobile!

Increasingly there are free public hotspots here in the States, I'm
told. A Google search for WiFi hotspots should turn them up. Some
communities are sponsoring them; in other cases local user groups.

It's the way things should be, even in Switzerland!

--
Charles Shere
http://www.shere.org