[Ti] Util to test PB Memory

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Mon May 19 08:36:48 PDT 2003

JELyon typed this message on 5/19/03 10:26 AM:

> Ever since I installed 1GB RAM _and_ updated to OS 10.2.6, I've been
> getting the grey screen of death (the one that tells you in a half a
> dozen or so languages to use the power button to restart your Mac.)
>
> I assume, since no one else is screaming, it's NOT an issue with 10.2.6
> - so I'm looking for recommendations for a utility to test the memory.
>
> TIA

Have you tried to boot from the Apple Hardware Test CD? It should find a
defective RAM stick fast.

Failing that, remove the new RAM and try to boot again. If it boots OK, get
the new RAM replaced.

Strange, though. I had a new RAM module go bad on me about a year ago. The
computer just frose, forcing a reboot. When I booted up again, I got an
alert that a defective RAM module had been detected and that the system
would continue to boot disabling the defective RAM - which it did
successfully. It showed 768 Meg of RAM instead of 1 Gig.

jg